Syngenta Recruitment 2018 for Corn Breeding Lead, AME – Jobs in Zambia
Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants for the Syngenta Recruitment 2018. Interested applicant(s) ought to follow the details and procedures on this page to secure this opportunity.
Syngenta Recruitment 2018
- The purpose of the Breeding Project Lead is to plan, manage and support the delivery of projects aimed at improving the performance of Syngenta’s germplasm. Effective management and delivery of these projects results in the development of competitive hybrids that give rise to superior performing products at the customer level.
Working in a team environment, manage and deliver breeding projects in service of identified product targets:
- Provide leadership to a corn breeding project team. Manage project budget, team charter, and team meetings. Responsible for the Stage 0 to 4 work stream within the project.
Manage breeding pipeline from product concept through genetic entity development by leading a portion or all of the following activities:
- Plan breeding crosses and associated testing for populations.
- Plan and allocate allotted nursery, crossing and replicated trial resources in mainland and contra season location(s).
- Determine number of breeding starts, extensiveness of sampling and number of reps and environment of testing.
- Make selections and advancement decisions through to product handoff to Product Evaluation scientists (PEA).
- Work with PEA(s) to successfully test and advance lines to Stage 5, 6, and 7.
- Measure and monitor key performance factors relative to pipeline performance and program efficiency. Leverage performance metrics and benchmarking to work towards maximum efficiency of germplasm improvement (genetic gain and cost).
- Ensure appropriate technology integration in germplasm improvement projects and product development processes.
- Working with a Genetic Project Lead (GPL), plan, evaluate and implement, where appropriate, marker-assisted breeding (MAB).
- Plan and ensure that appropriate trialing, phenotyping and analysis methods are used to enable program success.
- Participate in global sharing of information on breeding protocol improvement.
- Together with Product Evaluation scientists, agree on line promotions for post-BPL trialing:
- Maintain a thorough understanding of available germplasm, performance and needs of similar Germplasm pools within Syngenta’s programs.
- Participate in all appropriate plot tours and advancement meetings.
- Attend international plot tours and advancement meetings as appropriate.
- Coordinate exchange of germplasm within Syngenta’s programs.
- Assist PEA and Product Managers with decisions on product advancement, placement and support of all brands / market channels.
- Work with Nursery Services Manager to provide feedback that allows continuous improvement in plot quality and testing efficiency.
- Partner in development and implementation of Native Trait & Molecular Breeding efforts
- Participate as a core team member on Native Trait project(s). Collaborate in the design and implementation of projects in the Native Trait and genetic information creation.
- Engage in the development and implementation of breeding approaches that optimize R&D productivity through effective development and use of enhanced breeding approaches such as Molecular Breeding, etc.
- A thorough knowledge of breeding theory (genetics, statistics, genetic gain theory and field plot technique).
- A thorough knowledge of relevant germplasm.
- Good knowledge of marker applications to breeding.
- Excellent organization, communication and computer skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, especially those required to successfully function as part of a cross-functional team.
- Ability to show leadership and influence in a project-team setting.
- Proficiency in English.
PhD or Master Degree in plant breeding.
- Ability and willingness for extensive travel, both regionally and globally.
- Operate in a team setting.
- Successfully function both as a team leader and a team member.
How to Apply