This is to inform you that the WACWISA Masters & PhD Scholarships 2022 Applications are ongoing. You will find all the necessary details below on how to apply, eligibility, requirements, deadline, award value, and more.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified applicants for the 2022 WACWISA Masters & PhD Scholarships. Interested applicants ought to follow the details and procedures on this page to secure this opportunity.
The Scholarship is provided by the Government of Ghana and the World Bank (WB) to support promising African student as to pursue Masters (MSc/MPhil) and PhD study programs in Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, and Environmental Management and Sustainability, and to conduct related research in the West African sub-region in particular and the Africa Region at large.
Enrolled students will be supported to develop international experience in one or more of the WACWISA’s international partners’ laboratories and field stations. The need for highly trained skilled professionals is paramount given the issues of water scarcity and the need for the development of functional and efficient irrigation infrastructure in Africa. This is towards the ultimate goal for the intensification of agriculture, increased productivity and food security.
- The scholarship will cover the official University fees for Masters and PhD students at the University for Development Studies, School of Engineering and the Faculty of Natural Resources and Environment. This will include: tuition, registration, examination, matriculation, Student Identity Card, ICT and library. These will be payable to the University for Development Studies.
- The scholarship includes a monthly stipend to cover accommodation, living expenses, health insurance and other personal incidentals.
- This research cost will cover transport, field data collection, software, and other student project related costs.
- Students may be supported and placed in international laboratories of partner institutions for the conduct of research where need be and to expose them to the international setting to gain international experience. This will cover travel cost in a return economy class ticket and living expenses for a period of between three to six months.
- Meet the standard University for Development Studies Admission requirement for both local and international students.
- Apply for the Masters/Doctor of Philosophy program in Irrigation and Drainage Engineering at the University for Development Studies.
- Submit an official/certified academic transcript from the previous University of study and a certified copy of academic certificates, with official English translation provided where necessary.
- For the Masters program, candidates must have the following qualifications:
- MPhil Irrigation and Drainage Engineering – A Bachelor’s degree (honours) or equivalent with at least a Second-Class Upper Division in Agricultural Engineering, Civil Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Soil and Water Conservation and Management, Horticulture, Agronomy, Hydrology and Watershed Management and Engineering, Agricultural Technology, Soil Science or related fields.
- MSc/MPhil Environmental Management and Sustainability – A Bachelor’s degree (honours) or equivalent with at least a Second-Class Upper Division in Natural Resources Science and Management, Biology, Agriculture, Development Studies, Geography, Environmental Studies/Science or related fields.
- For the PhD program, candidates must have a minimum qualification:
- PhD Irrigation and Drainage Engineering – Research-based Masters degree or equivalent in related field (Agricultural Engineering, Civil Engineering, Water Resources Engineering, Soil and Water Conservation and Management, Horticulture, Agronomy, Hydrology and Watershed Management and Engineering, Agricultural Technology, Soil Science).
- PhD Environmental Management and Sustainability – Research-based Masters degree or equivalent in related field in Natural Resources Science and Management, Biology, Agriculture, Development Studies, Geography, Environmental Studies/Science.
- Practical field training/experience in irrigation and drainage or Environmental Management and Sustainability related activities is an added advantage.
- Applicants must be less than 35 years for the Masters program and less than 40 years for PhD.
- Be nationals of and resident in Africa.
- Female candidates in the West-Africa sub-region are particularly encouraged to apply.
Application for WACWISA Masters & PhD Scholarships
What follows is how to apply for the WACWISA Masters & PhD Scholarships 2022 Application:
- All applicants shall submit a two-page statement of motivation outlining their fitness for the study program and benefit of the training to their home country and Africa in general.
- All applicants to the Masters or PhD programs must submit two academic letters of reference and one professional letter of reference.
- Provide a detailed curriculum vitae – maximum two pages.
- Masters applicants must submit a three-page and PhD five-page maximum research proposal which shall contain a research topic, background, problem statement and justification, objectives, materials and methods and expected results.
- Provide a copy of Identity Card or Bio-data page of National Passport.
Applicants should submit full complement of documentation to email@example.com and copy firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line “WACWISA Masters and PhD scholarships”
All applicants must also submit applications for admission into the relevant program at the University for Development Studies, Tamale – Ghana available here.
Deadline – Last day to Apply
WACWISA Masters & PhD Scholarships Application Deadline: The closing date for this opportunity is on June 30, 2021
Share this post with your Friends: