The CSIR annually offers a linked Internship-Studentship through the Southern Ocean Carbon-Climate Observatory (SOCCO), an inter-disciplinary programme hosted by Smart Places.
CSIR Masters Studentship Opportunit
These opportunities are in a range of disciplines that address the research needs of earth systems science with a focus on the oceans, which includes research in oceanography, physics, marine biology, chemistry, mathematics, statistics, computer science, and engineering.
Interns need to perform and qualify for the Masters studentship programme, apply for an NRF bursary and gain admission to a university.
These opportunities will be based in Cape Town.
- An Honours degree in biological sciences, computer science, statistics, oceanography, mathematics, physics, chemistry, or engineering;
- Basic computer science and coding experience (e.g. Matlab / Python) will be advantageous;
- An understanding of basic statistics for the processing of large datasets will be advantageous;
- Knowledge/familiarity with performing data processing, analysis and visualisation on Matlab or Python beneficial;
- Effective communication skills (oral, written and presentation);
- Be independent and able to work under pressure.
How To Apply
Applicants must attach the following documents:
- Copies of academic results (including the latest academic results or transcript);
- Copies of tertiary qualifications and ID;
- CV (highlighting relevant skills and experience) and cover letter
- PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY