International Budget Partnership Vacancy for Country Manager, Application Details
International Budget Partnership invites Applications from suitably qualified applicants for the 2017 International Budget Partnership Vacancy for Country Manager. Interested applicant(s) ought to follow the details and procedures on this page to secure this opportunity.
International Budget Partnership Vacancy for Country Manager
The International Budget Partnership – Established in 1997. The IBP collaborates with civil society organizations in countries around the world to support and leverage public engagement around service delivery issues that affect citizens’ lives as an entry point to shaping budget processes and outcomes in the directions of justice, inclusiveness and democracy.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Country Manager
- The International Budget Partnership (IBP) is looking to appoint a dynamic political strategist with a strong understanding of fiscal governance, a record of success in civil society activism/space and the broader accountability ecosystem to lead and oversee the implementation of its program strategy in India.
- This exciting opportunity will impact lives by ensuring that public resources match public priorities and hasten the end to poverty in our world.
- The Country Manager for Nigeria will be part of a new multi-year multi-donor supported initiative called the Strengthening Public Accountability for Results and Knowledge (SPARK). Nigeria is one of seven priority countries where this program will be implemented and this position will spearhead the planning and implementation of the country strategy.
- Through deep and sustained engagements within the country, IBP seeks to strengthen initiatives from civil society partners – both formal CSOs and organizations and movements led by citizens – aimed at improving fiscal governance and service delivery outcomes.
- IBP is a cutting edge, passionate and devoted organization which admires people who can bring new ideas to the table. Individuals who enjoy growing and have this desire to change things will see this position as a wonderful opportunity to contribute to their mission and really make a change. IBP’s culture is about flexibility and adaptability, teamwork and valuing employees and their family, a friendly and apolitical environment where ideas for improvement are welcomed.
- This may include supporting pro-reform actors to strengthen the enabling environment for civil society engagements, or to release timely and relevant information that is requested and required for more effective citizen campaigns.
- It may also include direct engagements or other indirect support for accountability actors and mechanisms relevant to campaign issues or their root causes.
- Finally, it could also include producing evidence or narratives that support the efforts of citizen campaigns. This opportunity comes at a critical time as public budgeting has emerged as the central global challenge of the 21st century.
- The culture of this global organization with a diverse workforce of approximately 45 mission-driven staff worldwide is one which welcomes innovation and creative ideas to bring new solutions.
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential duties of the job include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Leads strategic planning and priority setting in a manner that ensures that the IBP’s work in Nigeria best contributes to the realization of IBP’s mission and over-all strategy.
- Leads and directs the implementation of the IBP’s in -country strategy, including identifying the key program partners, and planning and providing the optimum mix of support that partners require to increase the impact of their strategic engagement.
- Oversees and facilitates planning, monitoring and evaluation, and learning processes that feed into adaptive country program strategies at country level in accordance with overall SPARK and IBP frameworks and processes, and in collaboration with SPARK and Strategy and Learning (SALT) teams.
- Collaborates with SPARK action research partner institutions and in-country researchers to ensure action research is embedded in program activities and learning processes.
Networking and Partnerships Development:
- Maintains current knowledge of public financial management and broader civil society space, governance and political economy issues within the country.
- Identifies and cultivates opportunities for new partnerships and forms of engagement.
- Represents IBP at the national, and where appropriate the regional level.
- Manages relations with partners in -country, including facilitating linkages between and among grantees, broader civil society partners and other key governmental and non-governmental stakeholders.
- Ensures that partners are provided with analytical support, technical assistance and learning facilitation in a timely manner.
- This includes workshops and meetings with program partners and technical advice for designing and completing technical and political analysis needed to strengthen their campaigning and engagement efforts.
Financial and People Management:
- Supports partners in the processes of applying for, and overseeing the use of their SPARK grant resources, as appropriate and/or required.
- Manages and monitors the annual budget for the Nigeria country strategy and conducts outreach for potential donor partners in/for the country, as may be designated by the Executive Director, to explore, negotiate, and secure funding support required to implement the IBP country strategy.
- Leads and directs the work of in-country consultants, as appropriate, to undertake the effective implementation of the country strategy, including engagement with government actors, media, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Ensures that the strategy reflects IBP’s shared values in all aspects of the work, and that colleagues and consultants perform their duties and functions in a collaborative, effective and supportive team environment.
- Participates in IBP all-staff retreats, and in all Spark Team meetings.
- Develops terms of reference for independent contractors required in the implementation of the IBP country strategy, negotiates and secures approval for these terms of reference, and recruits and manages consultants for the IBP country strategy as appropriate.
- Supports the Director of Country Strategies in managing all awards to IBP that support work in the country, whether for SPARK or other activities under the country strategy, including narratives for proposals, reports, and other communication materials as required.
- Implements and complies with IBP administrative and financial protocols, policies and procedures.
Required Experience and Qualifications
- The ideal candidate must hold a Master’s Degree in Public Finance Management, Public Administration, Public Management, Public Health and Social Sciences.
- Equivalent experience in a relevant field combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- Minimum 6 – 8 years of experience in fiscal governance, government budgeting or public policy, or related development field, in Nigeria.
- Extensive experience working with and supporting civil society engagement, including providing technical assistance and support around public budgets, political economy and service delivery campaigns.
- Proven effective networker and convener within civil society and government circles in country.
- Experience in working/collaborating with government, oversight institutions, and the media.
- Experience in managing adaptive program implementation, including leading and directing program team, managing program budgets and grant funding to civil society organizations, and proactively coordinating with other work units of a larger organization.
- Exceptional written and verbal English skills; additional languages are an advantage.
Political and Analytical Skills:
Strategic thinker, superior political analytical skills; and strong experience in identifying and addressing challenges that relate to the successful positioning of CSO partners in the country context. This includes:
- Deep understanding of the complexities of power and political dynamics in the country and how they relate to exclusionary fiscal governance and inequitable service delivery outcomes
- Ability to constantly read and interpret the environment for opportunities that will advance IBP’s country strategy priorities in general, and the initiatives of CSO partners directed at realizing budget impacts and outcomes in particular
- Ability to creatively adjust and refine IBP’s country strategy as may be required to take advantage of openings in the environment
- Ability to advise CSO partners on effective strategies for campaigns and engagements, based on extensive knowledge of both successful and less successful approaches and experiences
- Ability to identify potential problems and formulate alternative courses of action
Capacity Building and Engagement:
Extensive experience in building capacity of CSOs and supporting CSO and citizen engagement in fiscal governance processes and issues. This includes:
- Ability to support CSO partners in strengthening their own analytical and strategic capacities needed for their campaigns and other engagements.
- Ability to engage with membership-based and grassroots organizations (unions, cooperatives, social movements) around service delivery and public resources issues.
Leadership and Management Skills:
Extensive management experience, covering the key areas of grant management, managing implementation of advocacy, research and networking undertakings, and managing staff and budgets. This includes:
- Ability to effectively oversee the administration of grant awards to CSO partners
- Ability to plan, execute and manage budgets for the country program
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office package, required; proficiency with other specialist software applications, desirable
- Proficiency in language relevant to the country is required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; high-level ability to communicate effectively with partners, colleagues, consultants, and representatives of government and other multilateral organizations
- Demonstrates a high level of organization; a strong ability to prioritize tasks to meet multiple deadlines
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, while maintaining regular and frequent communication with other colleagues geographically dispersed
Strong interpersonal skills, including the sensitivity for building relationships and alliances across different groups, and the ability to thrive in and contribute to a culture of collaboration and teamwork in a diverse work environment. This includes:
- Ability to establish, support, and grow networks of CSOs, including CSO networks for specific service sectors or issues, as well as multi-stakeholder networks where CSOs actively engage
- Ability to effectively facilitate the connections between CSOs partners, and their networks, and other accountability actors from government, oversight institutions, the media, and other CSOs
- Ability to support CSO partners gain the skills to build and strengthen relationships with other accountability actors
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and a commitment to and passion for IBP’s mission
- Highly flexible and adaptable to shifting environments and works very well under pressure
- Motivated to learn and willing to contribute to learning initiatives
- In-country travel may be extensive at times, more limited travel internationally
Terms of Appointment
- This is a full-time position.
- Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. IBP offers a generous vacation and leave program and competitive benefits.
- Candidates must be eligible to work in Nigeria.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should forward a copy of their CV’s in Microsoft Word format to Ms Lea Vercoustre-Kutleša, Senior Researcher, by mail to: email@example.com
Note: We will revert to you as soon as feasible when have reviewed your application.
If you Have Any Question or Need More Information Regarding International Budget Partnership Vacancy for Country Manager, Application Details, Kindly Make Use The Comment Box Below To Commumicate Your Feelings.